Don’t know what to do with all the kefir that you’ve been making? I use kefir for lots of things – in baking, marinating meats, smoothies. I actually stopped buying yogurt and sour cream at the store, since kefir provides me with so many uses (I found that if you make it with whole milk and add extra cream, it will be almost as thick as sour cream). Recently, I have been experimenting with making home-made jello. I had an idea of making kefir jello and it turned out pretty good and I could not get enough of it – a nice change from drinking kefir.
1 cup kefir
3 tablespoons maple syrup
gelatin – 20 grams (I used this gelatin and a kitchen scale to measure)
1. Put gelatin into small pan and cover it with water. Let it stand for about 15 minutes.
2. Put the pan on low heat and let the gelatin dissolve completely. Do not bring to a boil.
3. Mix kefir with maple syrup.
4. Put some berries or other fruit in a bowl where you want jello to set.
5. Let gelatin cool a little bit, and mix it with kefir.
6. Pour over fruit and put into the fridge to let set -it sets within an hour.
What are some of your favorite things to make with kefir?
photo credit - http://www.flickr.com/photos/fortinbras/3108174445/